ROANOKE, VA – December 4th marked twenty years that New Horizons Healthcare (NHH) has been providing medical services to those living in the Roanoke area. New Horizons Healthcare is a non-profit, community health center that is dedicated to providing quality primary care, dental, pharmacy, and behavioral health services on a sliding scale fee.
What began as an answer to the lack of affordable access to healthcare resources, particularly in the Northwest Roanoke community, led to the creation of a community health center. Rev. Dr. William Lee, former pastor of Loudon Avenue Christian Church, along with other local leaders, organized a grassroots coalition to address these issues in the mid-1990’s, which turned into Kuumba Community Health & Wellness Center, opening its doors for the first time in December 2000. Six years later, the organization changed its name to New Horizons Healthcare; and in 2011, NHH broke ground on a new 32,000 square foot facility on Melrose Avenue and began seeing clients the following year. In 2016, NHH opened two satellite clinic locations, one offering dental care in Southeast Roanoke, co-located with Fralin Free Clinic, and one offering medical and behavioral health care on Third Street in Old Southwest. Today, the center has grown to reach the following accomplishments:
- NHH provides medical, dental, behavioral health, medication assistance, and nutrition and health education services to more than 9,400 patients of all ages, annually.
- NNH offers same day appointments and walk-in visits for acute needs through its Open Access program.
- NHH provides FREECOVID-19 testing.
- The NHH Pharmacy fills an average of 6,200 prescriptions per month, with common insulins and generic medications priced as low as $4 each.
- NHH also offers delivery services for its prescription medications.
- 62% of patients identify as racial or ethnic minorities.
- The majority of patients are low income, underinsured, or uninsured, and offers an affordable sliding fee program for those who qualify.
As for the future of New Horizons Healthcare, CEO Eileen Lepro shares, “In the next five years we will continue to expand our services, increase our use of health care technology for telehealth and mobile outreach, and are planning to develop another satellite clinic location for more convenient access. We are almost at capacity at our Melrose, Third Street, and Southeast locations.”
To learn more about New Horizons Healthcare visit: www.newhorizonshealthcare.org.